Saturday, January 31, 2009

From Zack Oates

It was almost 21.00 on a chilly fall night in Donetsk, Ukraine. And there she stood—dripping with blood.
I was living in Ukraine at the time participating in humanitarian work and was on my way home when I saw her. I still don’t know her name, I still don’t know where she lived, and I still don’t know if she survived through the night …I just know how helpless I felt.
When I asked her what happened, her dodgy eyes locked onto mine, “My husband.” Her nose was broken, her eyes black, her body shaking and nerves burnt on fear. She was at a bus stop and I asked her where she was going, “Home,” came the chilling response. Wait, I thought, Home?! Back to your husband? I implored her to not return.
With a hopeless gaze she said, “Where else am I supposed to go? I have nowhere, nowhere else to go.”
I looked around for something or someone to help. A police officer stood 10 feet away with no intention of doing anything. The woman then limped onto the bus and left...
I was changed forever.
Courage to Hope is the organization created to answer her question.

It is my hope that we will be able to continue to strengthen the rights of women across the world through the facilitation of international support. Come, let us join together and combat that which is given every human: the right to love, life and hope.

1 comment:

  1. You are incredible and I'm so glad to call you my friend, Zack. Way to make a difference in this world and rally people together for such a worthy cause.

    -Crystalee Webb

    ReplyDelete